This is a quick and easy flatbread that you can have on the table in a snap. This recipe is a kitchen staple that I always have in my back pocket. No yeast? No worries! We are using baking powder here. It goes well with curry, soup, pasta, salad, or use to make sandwich wraps. I also love it with hummus! Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Quick & Easy Flatbread
Time: 20+ minutes
Yield: 8 small or 6 large
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Milk*
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, food processor with a dough blade or stand mixer with a dough hook. Begin by placing dry ingredients in the bowl and then add wet(See below for non-dairy option). Mix the dough with a spoon or using your preferred method until dough comes together and then knead until soft and pliable, I like using my hands. If your dough is still sticky add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time, throughly mixing it in before adding more, until it no longer sticks to your finger. Be careful not mix or knead the dough too much or your flatbread will come out a little stiff. You can poke the dough with your finger and once it springs back your ready to come. It should only take a few minutes.
- Flour your work surface and prepare to roll out dough by dividing into balls. If you want small(5-6″) flatbread divide into 8 balls, if you prefer larger breads then try 6.
- With your surface floured and your dough divided began rolling dough into desired shape. Don’t worry if they are not perfect circles! Lightly flour each side so they don’t stick together, but be careful to dust off excess, and place them on a plate or off to the side of your work surface.
- Now heat a frying pan large enough to fit the flatbread inside and heat over medium-high heat. When your pan is hot, place 1 flatbread inside and cook until the edges of the bread lift and bubbles form (1 or 2 minutes). Then flip over and cook another 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from the pan on to a clean plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Repeat until all the flatbreads are done.
- Dairy free: If you prefer a non-dairy option or have no milk in the house you have two options: 1) just use more water or 2) use a non-dairy milk like almond or soy.
- No Baking Powder? You can substitute 1/4 teaspoon baking soda for 1 teaspoon of baking powder. For example: This recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder, 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons. So you need a 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda to replace the baking powder.
- Additions: Want to add some pizzazz to your flatbread? Top it with garlic butter before serving. Or add seasonings to the dough, for example: 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon oregano, or maybe a 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
Did you make this recipe? Do you wish this article had step by step photos? Do you have your own additions you would like to share? Let me know in the comments!
Try this with our Southwester Black Bean & Corn Stew.
One thought on “Quick & Easy Flatbread (with non-dairy option)”