Are you ready for a tomato sauce so delicious and so easy to make at home that you might never buy a bottled sauce again!?
Well get ready because once you try this recipe I don’t think you will ever want to go back. The prep is quick and roasting in the oven give the sauce the long slow cooked flavor of cooking the the stove top. You probably have all the ingredients already, except for the fresh tomatoes!
Easy Roasted Tomato Sauce
Time: 10 minutes prep, 30 minutes rest, 1 hour cooking
Yield: Amount Equal to 1 Jar
- 8-10 Fresh Tomatoes (I used Roma Tomatoes)
- 1 Small Onion
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning*
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 375℉
- Cut the onions. I prefer my onion pieces a little on the larger side so I cut mine into a large dice, about 1″ squares.* Place on roasting pan.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and place on roasting pan.
- Add the 6 garlic cloves to the roasting pan.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Then pour over the tomatoes, onions and garlic, toss to coat.
- Roast in the oven for about 1 hour. I recommend checking after about 30 minutes to make sure they are not burning. Also sometimes the tomatoes will release a lot of juices and you will want to drain some of that off.
- Remove from the over, allow to cool, place in a bowl and mash with a fork to desired consistency. Also I prefer to remove the skin from the tomatoes once they have cooled. Overall this is meant to be a somewhat chunky sauce. I did pick out the garlic and mash it well on the side of the bowl first.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning, no worries! Just use dried oregano or dried basil instead, or a little a of both if you have them!
- Remember not to cut the onions too small or they will burn. If you prefer smaller pieces, reserve them on the side and either sauté in a pan or add to the oven half way through cooking.
- Great for canning if you have a lot of tomatoes in the summer!
Recommended Kitchen Tools
Click the images below to see some of Amazon.com highest rated products for items used in this recipe!