What to try a new way to cook tofu? This tofu in miso sauce will definitely become a fast favorite. The crispy tofu adds a lot of texture while the sauce is packed with flavor. This is another great meal prep idea!
Crispy Tofu in Miso Sauce
Time: 30 minutes prep, 30 minutes cooking
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Package Firm Tofu
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon,15 mL Oil
- 2 Tablespoon/30 mL your favorite Miso Paste
- 1 Teaspoon/5 mL Soy Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons/10mL Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon,15 mL Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon/5 mL Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon,15 mL Rice Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon,15 mL Ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 Green Onions, finely chopped
- Prep the tofu: Dry the tofu off with a paper towel then press the tofu for at least 20 minutes between two plates to help remove excess water.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl whisky together miso paste, soy sauce, brown sugar, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- Fry the Tofu: Cut the block in half length wise. Then cut each half into four long stick. Cut each stick into 2 pieces. Place the pan on the burn, add 1 tablespoon of oil place the tofu in the pan and turn the burner on high heat. Once you hear the sizzle start cook for 6-7 minutes until brown and then flip and cook the other side for another 6-7 minutes. You can fry on all 4 sides if you like, just keep rotating ever 6-7 minutes.
- Once they are golden and crispy pour the sauce over the tofu, turn the heat down to medium and cook until the sauce has been warmed through 2-4 minutes.
- If you don’t have time to press the tofu that is alright. HOWEVER, the key is to start the tofu in a COLD pan to reduce splatter.
- If you don’t have brown sugar, use what ever sweetener you prefer. I often use agave syrup.